The School Cook prepares the food to be served complying with all applicable sanitation, health, and personal hygiene standards and follows established food production programs and procedures. It's critical for this position to appropriately use facility supplies and equipment in order to minimize loss, waste and fraud.
- Shops locally, as necessary, for kitchen related supplies.
- Knowledgeable of state nutritional requirements for children.
- Plans, posts, and follows approved menus that are nutritionally sound, making substitutions as needed, keeps accurate inventory records and places food order, all within center food budget.
- Serves food at appropriate temperatures and in appropriate serving containers (i.e. no cans and/or large hot pans in the classroom).
- Maintains effective, safe storage of food, cooking and serving supplies, equipment and utensils, and cleaning supplies in accordance with state and/or local regulations.
- Keeps the refrigerator, stove and hood, can opener and other appliances clean and in good working order.
- Cleans the kitchen counters and shelves, (spills on floors as needed).
- Lifts and carries bulk food appropriately when delivered and stores food on shelves above and below counter level in accordance with safety guidelines. May involve use of a foot stool.
- Keeps accurate meal and snack count records as required per district/region guidelines.
- Utilizes FIFO (first in–first out) food storage system.
- Follows all SEG and local regulatory health, safety and hygiene procedures including but not limited to lifting, carrying (i.e. boxes, dishes, etc.), hand washing, etc.
- Effectively monitors and prepares food quantities daily and in accordance with SEG and local regulations.
- Serves food quantities and sizes which are age appropriate and based on the number of children eating that day.
- Adheres to child food allergy requirements, and/or any special dietary needs, and keeps an updated list in the kitchen.
- Washes and sanitizes dishes and cookware using the sanitizer machine or local sanitizing methods as determined by the local Health Department.
- Understands emergency procedures and what to do in cases including but not limited to: fire, tornado, hurricane, and chemical leak, CPR/First Aid when necessary; including lifting and carrying injured children.
- Participates in emergency drills, including assisting staff with children.
- Performs position according to SEG safety policies and procedures, as well as federal, state and local regulations. All safety concerns and incidents are to be reported immediately to direct superior.
- Flexible to the daily business demands of the school, including scheduled working hours and room assignments, helping in classrooms, and bus runs if necessary.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
- High School education or equivalent (GED) required.
- Minimum two (2) years relevant experience in a licensed child care facility kitchen, commercial kitchen, public school cafeteria, or equivalent.
- Required to have food service/food handler permit or license according to state/local regulations.
- Must be 18 years of age or older (23 years if performing a dual role as Driver).
The company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. M/F/D/V encouraged to apply.*
Location: Highlands Ranch, Colorado, US
Posted Date: 3/10/2020