's Guide To Working Abroad

Finding, and preparing for, a job overseas can be daunting. has gathered the information and resources you will need to make the transition to working abroad.

The Skinny on Work Visas in the USA

Do you want to work in the United States? Be sure to confirm proper working papers before applying with employers in the U.S..

One of the following non-immigrant, temporary Work Visas is required for employment in the U.S.:

  • Temporary Employment Visas (H, L, O, P, Q) - for approved, petition-based temporary employment.
  • Exchange Visitor's Visa (J) - for teachers and summer work travel participants accepted for approved programs/jobs.
  • Media Visa (I) - for members of the press, media and radio.
  • Trade Treaty (E, TN/TD) - for executives and essential employees of qualified countries from treaty countries, for treaty-based trade or investment in the U.S. 
  • Student Visas (F, M) - for undergraduate and graduate study, including internships.

Information about the application process for each of the above visas can be found at the U.S. State Department's Employment Visas and Student Visa pages.

Designated J-1 Sponsor Organizations

Once you decide upon a J-1 visa program, visit the U.S. State Department's website to research a program sponsor. Program sponsors are responsible for selecting participants for the Exchange Visitor Program, as well as supporting and monitoring them during their entire program stay. Participants should contact the sponsors directly to find out more about a specific program and application requirements.

Many sponsors can place participants anywhere in the United States, regardless of their official location. Please consult with the individual sponsor for details.

Designated Sponsor Organizations can be found at:

For more information on International employment: Tips for International Employment: What You Must Know


Working in the United States
What you'll need: visa, work permit

Remember, a visa does not guarantee entry into the country. Before you can apply for a visa, your employer must receive approval for a work permit (employment authorization document). Detailed information on U.S. work visas is available online at: We also strongly suggest that you contact your local consulate or embassy for more information.


Canadian nationals Embassy of the US in Canada
UK nationals Embassy of US in UK
Australian nationals Embassy of US in Australia
All nationals Temporary Work Visas
  Department of State (Bureau of Consular Affairs)
  Bureau of Citizenship

Working Abroad: More Resources